AllElectricalLighting3 Crucial Tips for Avoiding Electric Shocks At Home

November 3, 2020
https://reefcosa.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2020/11/diy-electric-fixing-1280x853.jpg

In any kind of Australian home, a widely-accepted fact that can never be overlooked at any point or treated carelessly is that accidents can always happen quickly.

Regardless of where you live, how many people stay with you, or how big your home is, there will always be a presence of potential risks that you?ll have to deal with or prevent at all costs. From fire hazards to power outages, the range of risks to watch out for is nearly endless, making it critical to stay aware at all times.

However, when it comes to electricity, it?s crucial to understand the fact that the risks of experiencing an accident are significantly greater than anything else. Compared to other resources at home, electrical currents pose a greater amount of risk and danger because they can easily escalate the level of danger when they aren?t controlled. Unlike other sources of energy that can be ?tamed?, electricity is sudden and powerful?which means that shocks are almost immediate if you?re caught off-guard or careless.

A few tips to avoid electric shocks at home

You may not realise it now, but you run into an assortment of potential issues at home every day, which leave you prone to experiencing electric shocks that can send you to the hospital.

Whether it?s in the form of careless decisions or underlying problem points, there is an infinite number of possibilities that will put you and your loved ones at risk. Thankfully, it?s easy to avoid such unfortunate situations by following these key pointers as you go about your daily routine:

Tip #1: When unplugging a device, pull on the plug and not the cable itself

A gradual way to put you and your loved ones at risk of experiencing electrical shocks at home is to constantly pull on cables when unplugging electrical devices. It may not seem like much now, but this careless feat of laziness is the same catalyst for numerous trips to the hospital all over Australia that are caused by electric shocks.

The main reason that something as simple as careless unplugging can eventually build up to lies in the fact that constantly pulling a cable will damage it. Over time, constant damage will expose wires or loosen up connections to the point where you?ll eventually have uncontrolled levels of energy running wild and putting your home at risk!

Tip #2: Avoid using damaged extension cords

Among the different bits and bobs in your home that you interact with constantly, none pose a greater level of risk than the ratty, damaged extension cord that you?ve been plugging into.

Compared to other devices in any home, extension cords deal with the largest currents of electricity because they?re built and engineered to seamlessly power each plugged device with an adequate amount of electricity. What this means is that the same device can cause a host of different problems when it gets damaged over time??eventually causing a fire if you?re not careful!


Tip #3: Not unplugging devices or turning switches off before tinkering with them

It may seem quite silly to think about at first, but the reality of it all is that the DIYs and other small tasks that you do everyday pose a much larger risk of experiencing electric shocks.

The mistakes that we?re alluding to fall along the lines of everyday tasks, such as dislodging stuck toast from a toaster or changing light bulbs?everyday tasks that put any of us in close contact with electricity. Before you get into contact with any electrical device and make the necessary adjustments, unplug or cut off the current so that you don?t shock yourself!

Conclusion

Among the different problems at home that you could run into every day, none are more dangerous or surprisingly common than electric shocks?making them a problem to avoid at all costs. By following the three tips mentioned above, you can easily ensure that you won?t accidentally put yourself or your loved ones at risk of an emergency trip to the hospital or end up burning your house down!

At Reefcosa Electrical, we are property management electricians in the Gold Coast that offer quality services that will help you prevent any electricity-related problems at home. Get in touch with us today to learn more about how our cost-effective solutions can eliminate troubles with your electricals!