Each year in Queensland around 70 kids under 15 end up in the emergency room because of an electrical injury. More than a third are under five!

The good news: all electrical shocks are preventable

You can help prevent shocks and burns with these simple fixes at home:

1. Install safety switches on all circuits to help protect your family from electric shock. Safety switches should be tested every three months by pushing the test button to ensure they operate.

2. Immediately replace any damaged power points, wall switches, electrical equipment, or frayed leads. Damaged equipment can have exposed live wires and cause electric shock. Wrapping tape around damaged leads won’t protect you from a shock.

3. Install dummy plugs on all power points and power boards. These are specially designed plastic plugs you can insert into unused power point sockets that help prevent objects from going into the Power Point. You can also buy protective power points with built-in shutters which automatically close off the socket openings when a plug is removed.

4. Never overload power points by plugging in multiple double adapters. If you need more power outlets you can get more power points installed or use a power board.

5. Water and electricity can be a lethal mix. Keep electrical equipment away from bathtubs and sinks that children may use.

6. Keep power cords and leads away from little hands and mouths. Small children often want to explore new things by putting them in their mouths this can pose a risk of electric shock.

7. Teach older children how to plug in and unplug safely. Before plugging in or unplugging equipment, have the switch in the off position. Take care when you unplug leads as pulling them out with force can damage the equipment, lead or power point.

8. Look for electrical equipment that has the Regulatory Compliance Mark (RCM). Take care if purchasing online – equipment bought from an overseas supplier may not meet Australian safety requirements.

9. If you have electrical work that needs to be done in your home, only use a licensed electrician to do the work. To check if an electrician is licensed visit
electricalsafety.qld.gov.au. We are! Call us today for advice or help keeping your home safe

Seek immediate medical attention if a shock occurs.

For a bit of fun and a clever way of educating your children, check this out here

Let us know how we can help you, was there something missing on our website you wanted?Simply fill out the following form for a call back